Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Crazy House

Well. My friend called me Sunday and asked if she could come over here. She was all teary and I guess I was supposed to grab the baby bottle and ask what was wrong, but I just can't cope with her disastrous life. There isn't enough compassion in my entire body to handle her. Or should I say, to care. She's one of those people who IS her own disaster. She's 29. She fell at work 2 or 3 yrs ago and has stayed on Workman's Comp since then. She has an attorney at the ready for when they remove her workman's comp. Sure, she fell because these things happen, but isn't it the Mississippi to find someone to sue? That's why we don't have any good doctors here as it is. Everyone sues everyone. Well guess what? Sometimes, shit just happens. And it isn't anyone's fault. Or worse yet, maybe it's YOUR fault. Oh, the horror of taking responsibility for your own actions and their consequences.
Anyway. her son went to live with her parents because she was "so" bad off she couldn't handle the day to day things that come with a school aged child. So her husband kind of got upset and eventually divorced her. So now she's also living with her parents. As soon as she moved in with them she got rid of the cane, started wearing shoes, and driving again. But she didn't become a better house cleaner and her mom didn't like that. They pay 140 a week for summer daycare, but his mom is sitting at the house on her ass. I guess that wore on them a little. So she calls me going off because they're "ruining" her life, and I'm sorry, but I just don't agree. I think it's the other way around. So anyway, back to Sunday. Her mom told her she was a crappy parent and that her son now called HER mom. So she was upset and wanted to come cool off. Cooling off for her usually results in her loafing around my house for 1 to 4 days. So I said no. I said,"Why don't you start doing all of the things for your son that your mother has taken on? If you kept him during the day, and took him to karate and dr appointments, instead of being at your friend's houses, he would quit calling her mom probably and she would have respect for you." She kind of did the "Maybe you're right" (ya THINK?!). So then she texted my sister in law later and said she was checking herself into Lakeside. Oy. So I called her mother and she said she had indeed checked herself in. Wow. Then she called me during phone hours yesterday. "They said I'm an alcoholic, a substance abuser, and manic depressed, so that's what's wrong." Oh, isnt it great when a place offers labels for all the problems you've thrown upon yourself? Depressed? SURE! As a result of her decisions, and POSSIBLY regardless of them. Substance abuser? Huh?
"Why do they call you that?" "Because of all the stuff I've tried in the past". Wha? If the things we tried when we were kids makes us substance abusers, count me in! I mean, she gets pain pills for her "injury" and I've seriously never seen her ABUSE them. Heck, the last bottle she had, she SOLD. If she was abusing them, wouldn't she want to keep them for herself? I don't know. Then, an alcoholic? I dunno. She certainly drinks to get DRUNK, I can vouch for that, but I don't think it's very frequent. And she doesn't drink alone. BUT her dad is an al-key so I would say it may be best to make sure hers doesnt get out of control.
I just can't believe they diagnosed her with allllll of that within a day. And it was obnoxious that she called to tell me when visiting hours are. I mean, you just don't know her. She wants all attention on her it sometimes seems, and typically, the sympathetic kind is what she's looking for. And of course I'll visit her. What else am I supposed to do? Visitation is 6to7 tonight and Thursday, 1-2 on Sunday. I'm only going once, probably tonight. But I don't know, my grandma's house caught on fire so I may have to go over there. It was just most of the kitchen but I guess the firemen busted holes in the walls and ceilings cause it was electrical so they're living at my cousin's now and probably need help moving their things.

No comments: